Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Where my heart now belongs

I recently began a new job working with children who have Autism. I have a little previous experience with Autism, but it was a subject I did not have a lot of knowledge of. Over the last few weeks, I have learned and had my eyes opened to what life with Autism is all about. My children are truly gifts from God and although some days may be tougher than others, I wouldn't trade my job for the world.

I wanted to share what exactly Autism is and a video about the Marcus Autism Center. It is a wonderful place that has changed the lives of so many families.


Here are some facts about Autism:

1. Autism now affects 1 in 110 children and 1 in 70 boys
2. Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
3. There is no medical detection or cure for autism
4. More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined



Signs of Autism:
  • No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by six months or thereafter
  • No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles, or other facial expressions by nine months or thereafter
  • No babbling by 12 months
  • No back-and-forth gestures, such as pointing, showing, reaching, or waving by 12 months
  • No words by 16 months
  • No two-word meaningful phrases (without imitating or repeating) by 24 months
  • Any loss of speech or babbling or social skills at any age

For more information about Autism visit this website.

Below is the video I mentioned earlier...





Also, on May 22, 2011, is the Walk Now for Autism Speaks.



The Marcus Autism Center sponsors this walk.
I am walking with my co-workers.
I am also asking for donations for this cause.
If you would like to donate, please click this link.
No donation is too small,
EVERY donation is important and helps so much regardless of the dollar amount.


No comments:

Post a Comment